Harold and Jenny decided to go on vacation for a couple weeks. They did everything they thought they were supposed to: lock the doors, have someone watch their cats and water their plants, and make sure their heat was set to low so they weren’t charged for using it while they weren’t in town. However, one day the boy who was watching their cats and watering their plants noticed a small puddle of water in the basement. Of course, he thought nothing of it. He contacted Harold and Jenny, told them about the water, and went on his way. Fast forward to five days later the couple returned. Harold went to the basement to check out the “small” puddle of water. Turns out a pipe had cracked while they were on vacation, and now they were dealing with a flooded basement. That small puddle of water Jimmy had mentioned had turned into a small lake in the basement.
Some may say this situation is exaggerated, but this happens more often than people think. As the weather gets colder and many start taking vacations in warmer climates, the plumbing is often the first aspect of a house to suffer. When pipes aren’t run regularly, the small amounts of water left over in the pipes will collect in areas of the lines. If the temperature gets low enough, that water can freeze, which will cause the pipes to shrink and crack.
Now, some may think: “Well, what am I supposed to do when that happens?” There are a few answers:
- Turn off the water
- This will stop the immediate problem of leaking water.
- Call a plumber
- Get that leak fixed so it doesn’t become a future problem
- Call SERVPRO
This is probably the last thing someone wants to think about right after coming back from a relaxing vacation, so there are also a few steps to take prior to leaving that can save a call to a plumber:
- Keep the heat above 55 degrees in the house
- This is something a lot of apartment complexes recommend for people who leave during winter breaks (usually college students), but this also applies to homeowners. This will reduce the likelihood of your pipes freezing.
- Let the kitchen sink drip
- If it’s an older home or older plumbing this will keep water from standing in one place
- Make sure that parts of the home that may not be as well insulated (garage, basement, attic, etc) are well-heated.
- Space heaters are a simple way to heat large rooms.
- Note: This will probably increase your heating bill, but that is drop in the bucket compared to the price of a plumber and mitigation team. Not only will you be paying for the repairs, mitigation, and dry-out, but your family may also be displaced for a while, depending on the amount of damage.
- Especially with colder nights coming, pipes in the garage, basement, or attic are sometimes the first to freeze up.
Remember that mold spores can start growing into colonies about 72 hours: waiting to call if there is water damage can only make the problem worse!
If you do have water damage in your home, please call SERVPRO of South & West Seattle for a cost-free estimate at 425-225-2227 today! We can have a team out to your home to assess and mitigate the problem immediately.
College Night with the Seattle Sounders!
Clint Dempsey - Forward for the Seattle Sounders.
What: College Night with the Seattle Sounders
Where: CenturyLink Field
When: October 12th, 2016 at 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Tickets: $20.00 and includes a $10 concession voucher
*Use code: COLLEGE16 to secure your tickets today!
It's college night at CenturyLink Field with the Seattle Sounders! Come watch them take on Houston Dynamo. Don't miss out on some great fun and a chance to cheer on our Seattle soccer team!
Pacific Northwest Storm - Typhoon Songda
Pacific Northwest Storm can cause electricity lines to fall over. Stay away and stay safe!
If you haven't heard already a remnant of Typhoon Songda is coming to the PNW. This series of storms will begin Wednesday night and continue into the weekend. Typhoon Songda will hammer the Northwest into the weekend, with the potential for destructive winds, flooding rain, huge waves and coastal flooding in Washington, Oregon and far northern California.
- Wednesday Night: A steady period of rain develops from west to east across Washington, central and western Oregon and northwest California.
- Thursday-Friday: A stronger pulse of heavier rain and strong winds surges into Washington, Oregon and northern California Thursday. High winds are expected along the immediate coast of Washington and Oregon with some strong gusts also possible in the interior later Thursday. Friday should offer a bit of a break in the Northwest.
- Saturday-Sunday: A POWERFUL storm will track near or over parts of the Pacific Northwest Saturday, with effects lingering into Sunday. The strongest winds would occur immediately ahead of and behind the time the front sweeps through, particularly along the coast. Heavy rain, coastal flooding and at least some high-mountain snow are also expected, lingering into Sunday.
- Make a family plan
- Have candles/matches, batteries, and flashlights available
- Have a portable radio ready in case you lose power
- Do not open the refrigerator or freezer door. Food can stay cold in a full refrigerator for up to 24 hours, and in a well-packed freezer for 48 hours
- Have warm clothes and blankets ready
- Have non-perishable food, water, first-aid kit, medication available
- Stay at home when severe weather begins
- Stay away from trees, power lines, unsafe buildings
If you suspect storm damage, water damage, mold growth, or even a fire give SERVPRO of Renton a call at 425-255-2227 our crew will be ready 24/7 for emergency services.
High-Quality Carpet Cleaning!
Expect the best with SERVPRO of Renton's cleaning services!
When it comes to cleaning your home or commercial building you want the highest-quality possible. Rely on SERVPRO of Renton to provide you with your needs and wants in a cleaning service. SERVPRO of Renton specializes in carpet, upholstery, ceilings, floors, walls, drapes, and blinds cleaning.
As a company we offer a number of cleaning options based off of your type of carpets, upholstery, blinds, etc. Our cleaning services address moderate and heavy soil conditions in your carpets.
Our specialized cleaning methods are:
- Bonnet Cleaning
- A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot Water Extraction
- A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse
- Helps restore deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning
- The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry Cleaning
- When color-fastness is an issue.
Keeping up with your carpets:
- Vacuum regularly to reduce accumulated dust/dirt
- Remove spots immediately
- Move furniture to change traffic pattern
- Have people take off their shoes in your home
- Use walk-off mats to take of soil tracked into your home/building
You can count on SERVPRO of Renton to get the job done for you in a timely matter at the highest-quality of cleaning possible. Give us a call today to set up a time for us to come out at (425) 255-2227.
Disaster Skills Workshop
Learn the skills, make a plan, and be prepared for any disaster.
What: Seattle Disaster Skills Workshop
Where: South Lake Union Discovery Center
101 Westlake Ave N, Seattle, Washington 98109
When: October 11th at 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Come join the community at the Disaster Skills Workshop tonight! When a large disaster strikes our first responders might be overwhelmed. Do you know what to do?
Having some sort of knowledge for what to do during a disaster can not only help save your life, but also those around you. This workshop provides:
- Fire Extinguisher use
- Utility control
- Water storage and purification
- Emergency toilets
Be prepared for when a disaster strikes!
Residential home of an hoarding situation before cleanup.
Hoarding is actually categorized as a disorder of behavior where a person has the inability or unwillingness to discard large quantities of objects that end up eventually covering up all areas of their home or living space.
Hoarding is categorized as a biohazard due to the substances that might be found in your home, apartment, or commercial building. During hoarding situations there could be a wide range of things you could find from house supplies and magazines to hazardous materials and animal waste or remains. SERVPRO of Renton trains our technicians to specialize in hoarding cleanup and restoration. Hoarding cleanup includes not just removal of items but also recovery and restoration of useful and valuable objects.
Following the cleanup and restoration process, our technicians will deodorize the scene so eliminate any and all existing odors that could have come from a number of sources. If more cleanup is necessary like, carpet cleaning, mold removal, or water damage; SERVPRO of Renton will handle everything and continue to communicate with you throughout the process.
- A common problem 2-5% of Americans meet diagnosis requirements
- Hoarders see objects having significant value
- Often begins during adolescence around the age of 13 or 14
- Often environmentally related
- Depression is often related
- Most hoarders have Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), anxiety or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Consequences are more than a messy home- unsanitary living environment
- Increased risk of fires for occupants and their neighbors
- Accumulation of objects
- Blocked exits
- Unsafe cooking and heating environment – 39% of fires in hoarding homes result from cooking
- Safety and health risks to people, animals, and the community
If you are struggling with a hoarding situation and need help discarding any or all items, SERVPRO of Renton will be there to help you through this process. Give us a call today at (425) 255-2227 for any questions or concerns.
Residential house vandalized from teenagers who teepeed their front yard.
One thing about SERVPRO of Renton is that we are a “one stop shop”. Not only do we specialize in fire and water damage restoration and cleanup; we specialize in vandalism and graffiti cleanup!
In some areas of the PNW vandalism can happen on a reoccurring basis and require a lot of time set aside to cleanup, paint over, or tear down the damaged area. As we know vandalism can range from small pranks like throwing eggs at someone’s front yard to completely destroying someone’s house from breaking windows or spray painting on their private property. Luckily, SERVPRO of Renton specializes in both minor and large vandalism and graffiti cleanup and restoration.
In addition to removing spray-paint on walls we can also clean:
Don’t worry when someone intrudes and tries to destroy your personal property, SERVPRO of Renton will act fast and efficient to restore your personal items and remove all vandalism and destruction from your home or commercial building.
Call us today at (425) 255-2227 for any questions or concerns!
Halloween on a Farm
Local pumpkin patch ready for people to take them home!
It's that time of year again Halloween is right around the corner!
Enjoy pumpkin patches, corn mazes with friends, and hayrides at local farms.
When: October 10th - 31st
After a major storm trees intrude home. Don't worry just call SERVPRO of Renton to help cleanup and take care of your personal items.
Hurricane Matthew struck Haiti very hard and now is making its way to Florida, North and South Carolina, and Georgia. The governors in these areas have declared states of emergency and demanded everyone in evacuation zones leave at once before the deadly storm strikes. The extreme winds of a major hurricanes and storms can do a lot of damage. Hurricane Matthew’s winds are 140mph and destroying anything in its path.
Storm damage is not a joke. In the PNW we don’t see a lot of major storms; but when we do SERVPRO of Renton is right there to help you. When dealing with storm damage immediate action is very crucial for your home or building. SERVPRO of Renton is part of a national network of over 1,650 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams set in place throughout the country in times of large scale disasters. Here are some tips on what you can do:
- Look for potential hazards on your property
- Branches leaning over 45 degrees over your roof
- Anything close to utility lines
- Check your gutters, remove debris to prevent water damage
During the storm:
- Follow all guidelines for evacuations
- Don’t hesitate to get help
- Stock up on non-perishable foods, drinks (water and drinks with electrolytes), gas, batteries, etc.
- Prepare in advance
After the storm:
- Stay clear from all utility lines, trees, hanging branches, unsecure areas
- Evaluate what you can and can’t handle for cleanup
- Call SERVPRO of Renton for cleanup and emergency services
Let us be faster than any disaster and call SERVPRO of Renton when catastrophe strikes.
Seattle Tasting Event
The Seattle Center covers a 74-acre campus with the ability to manage events and festivals of all sizes.
What: Tasting event
Where: Fishers Pavilion, Seattle Center
When: October 6, 2016 at 7 p.m. - VIP 5:30 p.m. +21
In the #PNW we love tasting great food and drinks from different vendors. Come join the community and taste amazing food and drinks from dozens of restaurants, mixologists, and food trucks at the Seattle Weekly’s Voracious Tasting & Food Awards!