If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (425) 255-2227

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What Does Your Flood Policy Cover?

9/30/2019 (Permalink)

A desk with glasses a fifty dollar bill and paper that says "Flood Insurance" What flood insurance covers and what it does not

Choosing the Right Commercial Insurance for Flooding

As the owner of The Landing,WA, commercial property, the possibility of flooding should be a top concern. It's one of the main reasons property owners contact their commercial insurance companies for reimbursement. You need to know:

  • Flood policy deductibles
  • What flood insurance covers and what it does not
  • How item values are determined

When natural disasters occur, you'll need to have property ownership paperwork available to share with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Building and Personal Property Coverage

There are two types of commercial insurance policies: building property and personal property. For a business, personal property includes the contents of the business building. FEMA recommends that you purchase both types of insurance. Deductibles and coverage limits can be found on the Declarations page of your insurance policy. Carefully review this information before the risk of flooding.

What Is Covered

Your flood policy is limited to just floods and won't cover all types of water damage. It may cover damage related to overflowing tidal waters, rapid runoff of surface waters, the collapse of land around a river or lake, and other weather-related flooding. Your building property coverage should insure:

  • The building and foundation
  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Appliances, such as water heaters, central air and heating, walk-in freezers, and some machinery
  • Permanently installed structures (bookcases and paneling) and carpeting
  • Fire sprinkler systems

Personal property coverage insures items such as:

  • Furniture, equipment, and fixtures
  • Portable appliances, such as AC units, microwaves, and dishwashers
  • Large appliances including freezers, clothes washers, and dryers
  • Valuable items such as artwork

Your policy paperwork should have a complete list of the types of items covered in each of these areas.

What Is Not Covered

What types of things aren't covered by your policy? Neither building or personal property coverage insures damages caused by moisture, mold, sewer backups, currency, property outside the building, and financial losses, such as those caused by business interruption.
The key to choosing the right commercial insurance for flooding is carefully reading through policies. Make sure you know if professional water damage repair services are covered. Refer to the FEMA website for more information.

Other News

View Recent Posts