The Dangers of Smoking Inside the Home
Fire is one of the most destructive natural forces in the world, and when it strikes your home, the consequences can be deadly. Sometimes there is no way to prevent fire damage, as lightning strikes or high winds near an existing fire can ignite your home at any time. Other causes, such as a cigarette fire, are avoidable if the homeowner takes precautions to change their habits to protect their homes and loved ones.
Cigarette fire is among the most common causes of house fires due to a myriad of factors. Consider the following tips to avoid accidental fires in your home:
Never smoke in bed – Too often smokers will have a cigarette while laying in bed and will fall asleep, thus dropping the cigarette and lighting their mattress on fire
Mind your ashtrays – An ashtray fire can happen if a cigarette is not completely stuffed out and/or it is full of old butts that can catch on fire
Keep lighters out of reach of children – All children imitate their parents, so it is never a good idea to give them a way to imitate your smoking habits by leaving lighters and matches within their reach
The most important and foolproof method to avoid fire due to smoking, however, is to simply never smoke in the home. Consider going outside for every cigarette, and ensure your ashtray is several feet away from your home, car, trees, and any other flammable items.
Home Cleansing Solutions
Once you make the switch to smoking cigarettes exclusively outside, you may become more sensitive to the odors left behind by your past smoking habits inside your home. Unfortunately, cigarette smoke is an odor that is absorbed into your furniture, walls, carpeting, and any other porous surface or material. Likewise, odors and other damage that can stem from a cigarette fire will need the help of a professional odor removal and fire cleanup company in The Landing,WA. It may be difficult to change your habits at first, but taking steps to ensure a fire is not caused by an otherwise avoidable incident can keep your home and family safe.