Hoarding is actually categorized as a disorder of behavior where a person has the inability or unwillingness to discard large quantities of objects that end up eventually covering up all areas of their home or living space.
Hoarding is categorized as a biohazard due to the substances that might be found in your home, apartment, or commercial building. During hoarding situations there could be a wide range of things you could find from house supplies and magazines to hazardous materials and animal waste or remains. SERVPRO of Renton trains our technicians to specialize in hoarding cleanup and restoration. Hoarding cleanup includes not just removal of items but also recovery and restoration of useful and valuable objects.
Following the cleanup and restoration process, our technicians will deodorize the scene so eliminate any and all existing odors that could have come from a number of sources. If more cleanup is necessary like, carpet cleaning, mold removal, or water damage; SERVPRO of Renton will handle everything and continue to communicate with you throughout the process.
- A common problem 2-5% of Americans meet diagnosis requirements
- Hoarders see objects having significant value
- Often begins during adolescence around the age of 13 or 14
- Often environmentally related
- Depression is often related
- Most hoarders have Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), anxiety or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Consequences are more than a messy home- unsanitary living environment
- Increased risk of fires for occupants and their neighbors
- Accumulation of objects
- Blocked exits
- Unsafe cooking and heating environment – 39% of fires in hoarding homes result from cooking
- Safety and health risks to people, animals, and the community
If you are struggling with a hoarding situation and need help discarding any or all items, SERVPRO of Renton will be there to help you through this process. Give us a call today at (425) 255-2227 for any questions or concerns.